– IBS, SIBO and low FODMAP friendly (no garlic, onion or other high FODMAPs)
– No artificial ingredients
– Allergens: No dairy, nuts, soy, shellfish, eggs
– Low sodium
All our recipes use fresh ingredients, no artificial flavoring and we limit the use of off-the-shelf sauces or spice mixes. If opting for a pre-made sauce or spice mix, make sure to read the label and understand all the ingredients. Check out our recipes page for more ideas.
This quick and easy chicken shawarma recipe is a popular Middle Eastern dish made with marinated and grilled or roasted chicken. It is typically served in a wrap or pita bread and accompanied by various condiments and toppings. The chicken is marinated in a flavorful blend of spices, herbs, and sometimes yogurt, which infuses it with a rich and aromatic taste.
The marinade for low FODMAP chicken shawarma typically includes ingredients such as lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. The chicken is usually sliced into thin strips or chunks before marinating to ensure even flavor distribution.
Traditionally, chicken shawarma is cooked on a vertical rotisserie, where layers of marinated chicken are stacked and slowly roasted, allowing the meat to become tender and develop a delicious charred exterior. As the chicken cooks, it is thinly sliced and served in a wrap or pita bread with various accompaniments such as hummus, tahini sauce, pickles, tomatoes, onions, and lettuce.
Chicken shawarma has gained popularity worldwide for its bold and aromatic flavors. It offers a savory and tangy taste with a blend of spices that makes it a flavorful and satisfying meal option.
Quick and easy chicken shawarma
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper can adjust based on preferred spice level
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley optional, for garnish
- Gluten-free pita bread or lettuce leaves for serving
- Low FODMAP condiments such as lactose-free yogurt, cucumber, and tomato optional, for serving
- In a bowl, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using). Mix well to make a marinade.
- Add the chicken strips to the marinade, making sure they are well coated. Cover the bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or overnight for more flavor.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of olive oil to the pan.
- Once the pan is hot, add the marinated chicken strips to the pan, making sure they are spread out in a single layer.
- Cook the chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side or until they are cooked through and have a nice golden color. Make sure to stir occasionally for even cooking.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for a few minutes. Then, slice the chicken into smaller pieces.
- Serve the low FODMAP chicken shawarma in gluten-free pita bread or lettuce leaves. You can add low FODMAP condiments such as lactose-free yogurt, cucumber slices, and tomato if desired. If using, garnish with chopped parsley.
The Candor website is for informational purposes only. We try our best to give nutritional information as a general guide, but we’re not certified nutritionists, so treat the values as estimates. Different brands, natural variations in ingredients, and other factors will affect the nutritional info in recipes. Online calculators may also give different results. For accurate nutritional info, use your preferred nutrition calculator with the actual ingredients and quantities used.