– Low FODMAP recipe (no garlic, onion or other high FODMAPs)
– IBS friendly
– No artificial ingredients
– Allergens: No dairy, nuts, soy, shellfish, eggs
– Low sodium
All our recipes use fresh ingredients, no artificial flavoring and we limit the use of off-the-shelf sauces or spice mixes. If opting for a pre-made sauce or spice mix, make sure to read the label and understand all the ingredients.
Chicken curry is a popular dish from India that consists of chicken pieces cooked in a spiced tomato-based sauce. The sauce is typically made with a blend of aromatic spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala, along with onions, garlic, and ginger. To keep this low FODMAP and easy on the gut, this recipe does not use onion or garlic.
It can also include other ingredients such as yogurt, coconut milk, or cream, depending on the region and the recipe. Indian chicken curry can be served with rice, naan bread, or other Indian breads, and can be adjusted to suit individual preferences for spiciness and flavor. It is a flavorful and comforting dish that has become popular all over the world.
Low Fodmap chicken curry
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ cup water
- fresh cilantro for garnish optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add cumin seeds and the grated ginger. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté until tomatoes turn fully mushy.
- Add the ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder (if using), salt, and pepper. Mix well into the cooked tomatoes.
- Add the chicken pieces and stir well to coat the chicken with the spices. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- If inclined, garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy the chicken curry with rice or roti/naan.