Turkish chicken kebab, also known as “tavuk şiş” in Turkish, is a delicious and popular dish that reflects the rich culinary heritage of Turkey. This mouthwatering kebab typically features marinated chunks of chicken skewered and grilled to perfection. The marinade is a key element, infusing the chicken with a burst of flavors that make every bite a savory delight.
The marinade often includes a combination of yogurt, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and a blend of aromatic spices such as cumin, paprika, and oregano. This concoction not only imparts a wonderful taste to the chicken but also ensures that it remains tender and juicy during the grilling process.
This culinary masterpiece isn’t just a treat for the taste buds but also a cultural experience. It’s a dish that brings people together, whether enjoyed at a family gathering, a street-side vendor, or a bustling Turkish restaurant. The combination of spices, grilling techniques, and the communal aspect of sharing kebabs make Turkish chicken kebab a culinary gem that transcends borders and captures the essence of Turkish cuisine.
Super simple juicy Turkish chicken kebab
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt use dairy-free option if needed
- 2 cloves garlic minced, can avoid for Low FODMAP
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes
- In a bowl, mix together yogurt (dairy-free if preferred), minced garlic (if using), olive oil, tomato paste, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade, making sure each piece is well coated. Cover the bowl and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight for best results.
- Preheat your grill or oven to 200C/400F.
- Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto the soaked wooden skewers.
- Grill the kebabs for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is fully cooked and has a nice char.
- While grilling, baste the kebabs with lemon juice to add flavor and moisture.
- Serve the Turkish chicken kebabs with your favorite sides, such as rice, flatbread, or a refreshing salad. Enjoy your delicious homemade Turkish chicken kebabs!